[O] canonical way to go beginning of a link

From: John Kitchin
Subject: [O] canonical way to go beginning of a link
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 14:38:50 -0400

Is there a canonical way to jump to the beginning of a link in org-mode,
i.e. the first char?

I usually do something this like:

(goto-char (org-element-property :begin (org-element-context)))

but in things like font-lock it seems slow compared to a regexp. I have
not found a reliable regexp approach though. say I want to search back
for "cite:" with point at the ^ position below:

some text cite:a-key
            ^

If I run (re-search-backward "cite:") at the point above, it does not go
to the point 2 characters back.

Any ideas?

--
Professor John Kitchin