Re: [O] links-9.0 v3

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] links-9.0 v3
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 00:10:17 +0200

Hello,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> Your version doesn't let you add properties to links with no
> existing properties, e.g. ("http")

There was a typo (spurious `cdr'), the correct version is

  (defun org-link-set-parameters (type &rest parameters)
    "Set link TYPE properties to PARAMETERS.
  PARAMETERS should be :key val pairs."
    (let ((data (assoc type org-link-parameters)))
      (if data (setcdr data (org-combine-plists (cdr data) parameters))
        (push (cons type parameters) org-link-parameters)
        (org-make-link-regexps)
        (org-element-update-syntax))))

> and it also didn't work as expected to set properties to nil.

Not sure to understand what you mean here. Could you give an example?

> I think I have squashed everything together that makes sense. Let me
> know if you have further thoughts.

OK. Some comments follow.

> +{{{noindent}}} In-buffer completion (see [[Completion]]) can be used
> +after {{{samp([)}}} to complete link abbreviations.  You may also
> +define a function that implements special (e.g., completion) support
> +for inserting such a link with {{{kbd(C-c C-l)}}}.  Such a function
> +should not accept any arguments, and return the full link with
> +prefix. You can set the link completion function like this:

Mind the spaces after sentences.

In any case, updating contrib manual is not top priority, since many
section needs to be updated anyway.

> +[fn:37] This works if a function has been defined in the :complete
> +property of a link in org-link-parameters.

~org-link-parameters~

> -(org-add-link-type "id" 'org-id-open)
> +(org-link-set-parameters "id" :follow 'org-id-open)

Nitpick: #'org-id-open

> -(add-hook 'org-store-link-functions 'org-w3m-store-link)
> +(org-link-set-parameters "w3m" :store 'org-w3m-store-link)

#'org-w3m-store-link

You get the idea, I will not comment the other occurrences.

> +        (type (save-match-data
> +                (if (string-match org-plain-link-re hl)
> +                    (match-string-no-properties 1 hl)
> +                  nil)))

Nitpick

  (save-match-data
    (and (string-match org-plain-link-re hl)
         (match-string-no-properties 1 hl)))

> +        (path (save-match-data
> +                (if (string-match org-plain-link-re hl)
> +                    (match-string-no-properties 2 hl)
> +                  nil)))

Ditto.

> -            ((assoc type org-link-parameters)
> +            ((and (assoc type org-link-parameters)
> +                  (functionp (org-link-get-parameter type :follow)))

I think (functionp ...) is sufficient, no need for the `and' and
(assoc type org-link-parameters), which `org-link-get-parameters'
already takes case of.  So

  ((functionp (org-link-get-parameters type :follow)
   ...)

>     * lisp/org.el: Replace the variable `org-store-link-functions' with a
>       function by the same name.

You need to add the name of the function being modified.

>     Update org-add-link-type
>
>     * lisp/org.el org-add-link-type: deprecated and now calls
>       `org-link-add'.
>
>     Create a new `org-link-add' function for making links.

You probably mean `org-link-set-parameters', since `org-link-add' would
be but a lesser version of the former.

> +  (org-link-add type :follow follow :export export)

See above.

> +(defun org-store-link-functions ()
> +  "Returns a list of functions that are called to create and store a link.
> +The functions in the variable `org-store-link-functions' come
> +first. These may be user-defined for different contexts. Then
> +comes the functions defined in the :store property of
> +org-link-parameters.
> +
> +Each function will be called in turn until one returns a non-nil
> +value. Each function should check if it is responsible for
> +creating this link (for example by looking at the major mode). If
> +not, it must exit and return nil. If yes, it should return a
> +non-nil value after a calling `org-store-link-props' with a list
> +of properties and values. Special properties are:

Mind the spaces between sentences.

I don't understand why we need to both preserve
`org-store-link-functions' and use :store property. Wouldn't one
location be enough?

> +:type         The link prefix, like \"http\".  This must be given.
> +:link         The link, like \"http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik\";.
> +              This is obligatory as well.
> +:description  Optional default description for the second pair
> +              of brackets in an Org-mode link.  The user can still change
> +              this when inserting this link into an Org-mode buffer.

Org-mode -> Org mode

> +In addition to these, any additional properties can be specified
> +and then used in capture templates."
> +  (append
> +   org-store-link-functions
> +   (cl-loop for link in org-link-parameters
> +         with store-func
> +         do (setq store-func (org-link-get-parameter (car link) :store))
> +         if store-func
> +         collect store-func)))

The above looks dubious. You seem to be collection :store values for
every link type, in addition to user-defined functions. It doesn't make
sense to run unrelated store functions.

> -            ((assoc type org-link-protocols)
> -             (funcall (nth 1 (assoc type org-link-protocols)) path))
> +            ((assoc type org-link-parameters)
> +             (funcall (org-link-get-parameter type :follow) path))

(assoc type org-link-parameters) -> (functionp (org-link-get-parameter type
:follow))

> +(defcustom org-link-parameters
> +  '(("http") ("https") ("ftp") ("mailto")
> +    ("file" :complete 'org-file-complete-link)
> +    ("file+emacs") ("file+sys")
> +    ("news") ("shell") ("elisp")
> +    ("doi") ("message") ("help"))
> +  "An alist of properties that defines all the links in Org mode.
> +The key in each association is a string of the link type.
> +Subsequent optional elements make up a p-list of link properties.
> +
> +:follow - A function that takes the link path as an argument.
> +
> +:export - A function that takes the link path, description and
> +export-backend as arguments.
> +
> +:store - A function responsible for storing the link.  See the
> +variable `org-store-link-functions'.
> +
> +:complete - A function that inserts a link with completion.  The
> +function takes one optional prefix arg.
> +
> +:face - A face for the link, or a function that returns a face.
> +The function takes one argument which is the link path.  The
> +default face is `org-link'.
> +
> +:mouse-face - The mouse-face. The default is `highlight'.
> +
> +:display - `full' will not fold the link in descriptive
> +display.  Default is `org-link'.
> +
> +:help-echo - A string or function that takes (window object position)
> +as args and returns a string.
> +
> +:keymap - A keymap that is active on the link.  The default is
> +`org-mouse-map'.
> +
> +:htmlize-link - A function for the htmlize-link.  Defaults
> +to (list :uri \"type:path\")
> +
> +:activate-func - A function to run at the end of font-lock
> +activation. The function must accept (link-start link-end path bracketp)
             ^^^

> +as arguments."
> +  :group 'org-link
> +  :type '(alist :tag "Link display paramters"
> +             :value-type (plist)))

Isn't it plist instead of (plist)?

> +(defun org-link-get-parameter (type key)
> +  "Get TYPE link property for KEY."

We could add that TYPE is string and KEY a keyword.

> +(defun org-link-set-parameters (type &rest parameters)
> +  "Set link TYPE properties to PARAMETERS.
> +  PARAMETERS should be :key val pairs."
> +  (let ((data (assoc type org-link-parameters)))
> +    (if data
> +     (cl-loop for (key val) on parameters by #'cddr
> +        do
> +        (setf (cl-getf (cdr data) key)
> +              val))
> +      (push (cons type parameters) org-link-parameters)
> +      (org-make-link-regexps)
> +      (org-element-update-syntax))))

See at the beginning of the message, I didn't give up yet ;)

> commit a4b9ed7783437838f909f3516fb53f32598e803e
> Author: John Kitchin <address@hidden>
> Date:   Tue Jul 5 10:07:10 2016 -0400
>
>     Remove org-link-types
>
>     * lisp/org.el (org-link-types): Remove this variable.
>
>     * testing/lisp/test-ox.el (test-org-export/custom-protocol-maybe):
>
>     Remove copy-sequence in the tests. Actually it seems like the let
>     statement is no longer needed. I guess it was around to protect the list
>     from extra links getting defined. A downside of this is the links may
>     get added during tests. That does not seem like a big deal if those are
>     run in batch mode.

The copy-sequence was used to prevent modifying `org-link-types' by
side-effect. It is not needed anymore since (org-link-types) generates
a new list every time.

I think we're almost there, barring my stubbornness about
`org-link-set-parameters'. Thank you for this work.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou