Re: [O] Configurable prefixes for heading-tree numbering in HTML export?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Configurable prefixes for heading-tree numbering in HTML export? ($)
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 00:06:35 +0200

Hello,

"D. C. Toedt" <address@hidden> writes:

> So far as I can tell, org-mode currently allows heading numbering in only
> one style (1, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc.).  For HTML export, I'm interested in having
> the heading numbering be configurable on a per-subtree basis, along
> something like the following lines for a hypothetical consulting-agreement
> contract  (indentation is for convenient reading only).  This is for my Common
> Draft <http://www.CommonDraft.org> contract terms and conditions project
> --- I'd like to be able to arrange the trees in an arbitrary order and have
> the top-level headings start with prefixes and heading numbers instead of
> heading numbers alone.
>
> This can be done in a very kludgy fashion with CSS (see below), but doing
> it in org-mode would be far preferable for several reasons.
>
> I'd be happy to pay an honorarium, or make a donation, of USD$100-$200 for
> the appropriate elisp code that I could include in the relevant file(s).
> I'd want the elisp code to be open-sourced, and at least minimal
> documentation, so that it could be made a candidate for possible inclusion
> in a future org-mode release.
>
> Here's an example of the desired org-mode code:
>

> ===BEGIN===
>

> * Services
>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>
>   :CUSTOM_ID: SVC
>
>   :CUSTOM_PREFIX: t
>
>   :END:
> # ======== NOTE THE :CUSTOM_PREFIX: property above =========== #
>

> ** Statements of Work
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>

> *** Written Statements of Work Required
>
> [properties and text omitted]
> # =========== AN ARBITRARY NUMBER OF SUBHEADING LEVELS BENEATH THE TOP
> LEVEL ============= #
>

> *** Changes Must Be in Writing
> [properties and text omitted]
>

> ** Billing Rates
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>

> ** IP Ownership
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>

> * General Provisions
>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>
>   :CUSTOM_ID: GP
>   :CUSTOM_PREFIX: t
>
>   :END:
>

> ** Amendments
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>

> ** Notices
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>
> ===END===
>

> I'd like for the resulting HTML export to be something like the following:
>
> SVC Services
>
> # ======== NOTE THAT THERE'S NO HEADING /NUMBER/ FOR THE TOP-LEVEL HEADING,
> JUST THE PREFIX ========== #
>

> SVC-1 Statements of Work
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>
> # ======== PREFERABLY THE SEPARATOR IN "SVC-1" COULD BE CONFIGURED AS A
> HYPHEN, A PERIOD, A COLON, A FORWARD SLASH, ETC. ============= #
>

> SVC-1.1  Written Statements of Work Required
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>
> SVC-1.2  Changes Must Be in Writing
>
> [properties and text omitted]
>

> SVC-2 Billing Rates

> [...]

Possibly not what you're asking but, you can ignore CUSTOM_PREFIX
property altogether and use a headline filter to do what you want.

  (defun my-heading-prefix-filter (heading backend info)
    "Prefix every heading and sub-heading with custom ID.
  Skip one level of numbering."
    (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'html)
      (let ((internal-ref
             (and (string-match "\\`.*id=\"outline-container-\\(.+?\\)\""
heading)
                  (match-string 1 heading)))
            (id (and (string-match "\\`.*\n<h[0-9]+ id=\"\\(.*?\\)\">" heading)
                     (match-string 1 heading))))
        ;; When there is no custom ID, id attribute contains the
        ;; internal reference.  So we check if there is a custom ID which
        ;; is going to become the prefix of all headings.
        (unless (equal internal-ref id)   ;No custom ID
          (let ((s 0))
            (while (string-match
                    "\\(<h.+?>\\)\\(?:.*?<span
class=\"section-number-[0-9]+\">\\(.+?\\)</span>\\)?"
                    heading s)
              (setq s (+ (match-end 0) (length id) 1))
              (setq heading
                    (cond
                     ;; Unnumbered heading.
                     ((not (match-end 2))
                      (replace-match (concat "\\1" id " ") nil nil heading 1))
                     ;; Top level heading.  Ignore numbering.
                     ((string-match-p "\\`[0-9]+\\'" (match-string 2 heading))
                      (replace-match id nil nil heading 2))
                     ;; Sub-headings.  Skip first number.
                     (t
                      (let ((numbers
                             (save-match-data
                               (split-string (match-string 2 heading) "\\."))))
                        (replace-match
                         (concat id "-" (mapconcat #'identity (cdr numbers)
"."))
                         nil nil heading 2))))))
            heading)))))

  (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-headline-functions
               'my-heading-prefix-filter)

custom ID is used to prefix every heading with its value.  Of course, it
means that every heading with a custom ID is expected to follow this
pattern, so you cannot toggle the feature subtree wise. Anyway that's
a starting point.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou