Re: [O] Add org-bookmark-heading to Org proper?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Add org-bookmark-heading to Org proper?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 21:35:52 +0200

Hello,

> Given that, now might be a good time to consider merging the package
> into Org proper.  It seems like something that should be in Org already,
> being able to make Emacs bookmarks that point to Org headings.  It's
> actually just three functions, so not much of a "package" really.
>
> https://github.com/alphapapa/org-bookmark-heading
>
> Thoughts?  :)

I think Org could benefit from a shrunk version of this library, i.e.,
`org-bookmark-make-record' and `org-bookmark-jump'.

However I'm not convinced about `org-bookmark-jump-indirect' since this
variable complicates code and the same effect can be achieved easily
once the destination headline is reached.

Besides, the helm part doesn't really belong to Org. IIUC, it is not
even needed if we drop support for `org-bookmark-jump-indirect', as
suggested above.

A few suggestions, after a cursory look:

- please switch to lexical binding as all but one file in Org core,

- it is "Org mode", not "org-mode"

- `org-replace-links-in-string-with-desc' already exists, it is
  (mis)called `org-link-display-format'

- `assoc' -> `assq' when key is a symbol

- if you create a marker, unset it once useless

- first sentence in docstrings has to fit in the first line.

Thank you for your work.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou