Re: [O] Org Agenda and recurring icalendar events

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Org Agenda and recurring icalendar events
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:06:26 +0100

On Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 08:54, cschr wrote:
> Hello together
>
> Im now running Emacs 25.1 with Org 8.3.5 on Windows.  I love Emacs and
> Orgmode and I want to use it instead of Microsoft Office.  But in
> order to replace MS-Outlook calendar by Org Agenda, and in order to
> sync Org Agenda with my Android phone, I would need all icalendar
> functionality, which is used by MS-Outlook and by Android, implemented
> in Orgmode. Most urgently missing are recurrence features like RRULE,
> EXDATE, DTSTART, DTEND, etc, and import and export of those from and
> to icalendar.  The current implementation is only rudimentary.

Rudimentary but works, at least for me, albeit using Google calendar and
not Outlook as the latter is so non-standard that it's a
nightmare.  Google is marginally better although not fantastic either.

With Google calendar, the easiest way to have org and Android/Windows
synchronised is to use MobileOrg and have it take care of the
synchronisation with the calendar.  This will handle many but not all of
your cases, specifically excluded dates and end dates for recurring
events which org does not support out of the box.

Alternatively, you can have two separate processes for synchronisation
in each direction: converting from ics to org and vice versa.  This has
been discussed many times on the list and there is material on worg.

> I had sent the below emails via bug-gnu-emacs, but there was no
> response – was it the wrong place to send to ?

Not sure whether wrong or not but this mailing list is the best place
for discussions of this form as you are requesting a feature as opposed
to reporting a bug.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.1.1, Org release_8.3.6-1131-gd68497