Re: [O] Bug: Feature request: more automatic updating of cookies [8.3.6

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Feature request: more automatic updating of cookies [8.3.6 (8.3.6-4-g4835be-elpaplus @ /home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160926/)]
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 11:20:19 +0200

Hello,

Jorge <address@hidden> writes:

> Paste the following in an Org buffer:
>
> * Cookie_a [0/0] * TODO Dummy_a * Cookie_b [0/1] ** TODO Dummy_b
>
> Within that buffer:
>    1. Move point to the line of Dummy_a.
>    2. <M-right>
> I wished the cookie to be updated to [0/1] but it is not.
>
> Then:
>    1. Move point to the line of Dummy_b.
>    2. C-c C-x C-w
>    3. Move point to the line of Dummy_a at column 0.
>    4. C-c C-x C-y
> I wished both cookies to be updated.  They are not.
>
> The manual [[info:org#Checkboxes][says]]:
>     Checkbox statistic cookies are updated automatically if you toggle
>     checkboxes with `C-c C-c' and make new ones with `M-S-<RET>'.  TODO
>     statistics cookies update when changing TODO states.  If you delete
>     boxes/entries or add/change them by hand, use this command to get things
>     back into sync.
>
> I request the feature of Org automatically updating cookies when using
> structure editing commands such as C-c C-x C-w, C-c C-x C-y, <M-left>,
> <M-right> and friends.  This could be governed by a user option.

I don't think we should do that. This would slow down many commands.
Also we cannot cover all uses cases (e.g., selecting a tree, C-w, C-y
elsewhere) so we cannot guarantee that cookies are always up-to-date, so
you ultimately need to intervene manually.

Org provides automatic updating for obvious actions, as explained in the
manual. Doing more would be much work for little benefit.

> The point is that C-u C-c # (to update cookies in the entire buffer) takes
> long enough that I only call it a few times per week.  This means that cookies
> can get out of sync.  Then I try to remember manually invoking C-c # on the
> relevant line every time it goes out of sync, but I sometimes omit it.

We could try to improve speed when updating cookies in a whole buffer.
A detailed profiler report in your situation could help.

Also, we could add more hooks, if needed, so as to call
`org-update-statistics-cookies' more often.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou