[O] org-link interface

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: [O] org-link interface
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 16:48:08 -0600

Hello,

I would like to add a new link type to org-mode.  Following the example
in the manual it is a very easy task.  However I would like to customize
how the link is visualized, specifically I would like a link like
"[[foo:bar]]" to be visualized simply as "bar" where the protocol type
has been hidden (same effect I would obtain with a link in the form
"[[foo:bar][bar]]".

Is it possible to hook somehow into org-mode to have that transformation
done, or there is an easy way to accomplish that?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Daniele