Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.4 (8.3.4-dist @ /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 10:59:02 +0000

On 1 November 2016 at 10:32, Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I changed the order of presentation for installation methods on the
website, promoting Org ELPA method.

​That's much better, thanks.

However, I still find the first section of the main page rather confusing.

I think there are two main problems:

1. The top heading is "Download and install", but the second half of the section is a list of links that look like they belong in a different section (List of features, Manuals and tutorials…).

2. The various types of download are still too mixed up. For normal users, there is no need to offer anything other than the ELPA method (unless you think some users still use pre-package.el Emacs?)

Suggested solution:

I suggest that you move these items to the "Documentation and literature" section: Manuals and tutorials, Worg, History & acknowledgements, Talks, GSoC.

Remove the heading "Download and install", but instead make the entire list heading-sized text. The top-most item in the list should be something like:

"Install Org mode from [GNU ELPA]: M-x package-install RET org RET (for the [bleeding edge], use [Org ELPA]!)"

The bits in square brackets are links, respectively, to GNU ELPA, the bleeding edge Worg page, and the Org ELPA page.

The rest of the list is then:

Mailing list and goodies
Org tools (outside Emacs)
How to contribute to Org [no question mark!]

The development version info should move to "How to contribute to Org?".

​The link to "More on installing Org mode" can be moved to the developer documentation.

I think this would make the page much easier to parse, and hence attract more casual users, as well as saving more experienced users time.