Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration

From: Grant Rettke
Subject: Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 13:20:48 -0500

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Giacomo M <address@hidden> wrote:

> Does anybody have experience with this?

Yes. Here is my top level provisioning document at the correct headline:

https://github.com/grettke/osx-provision/blob/master/El-Capitan/provisioning.md#provisioning

And here are all of the tangled files:

https://github.com/grettke/osx-provision/tree/master/El-Capitan

The scripts are all in Bash for the computer and Org-Mode for the
human (there are manual steps required).

This is for OS X and the concepts all apply to Linux.

> Is the experience positive or negative?

Positive. It makes it easy to break up your provisioning into separate
scripts. My scripts are supposed to be idempotent so it is easy to
play around and try new stuff. The Org document makes it easy to make
sense of everything.