[O] writing letters using the latex letters class?

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [O] writing letters using the latex letters class?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 00:46:23 +0000

I've tried to get a simple letter to export to PDF using the latex letters class, but I can't get it to work in any satisfactory way. I want to get
something like the following generated:

,----
| \documentclass{letter}
| \signature{Sender McSenderface}
| | \address{My address \\ My town \\ My country} | | \begin{document} | \begin{letter}{Recipient name \\ Recipient address \\ Recipient country} | | \opening{Dear Sir or Madam:} | | Aliquam erat volutpat. Nunc eleifend leo vitae magna. In id erat non orci | commodo lobortis. Proin neque massa, cursus ut, gravida ut, lobortis eget,
| lacus. Sed diam.
| | \closing{Yours Sincerely,} | | \end{letter}
| \end{document}
`----

I was hoping I could generate that from (something like) the following org
document:

,----
| #+latex_class: letter
| #+signature: Sender McSenderface
| #+address: My address \\ My town \\ My country
| #+recipient: Recipient name \\ Recipient address \\ Recipient country
| #+opening: Dear Sir or Madam
| #+closing: Yours Sincerely,
| | Aliquam erat volutpat. Nunc eleifend leo vitae magna. In id erat non orci | commodo lobortis. Proin neque massa, cursus ut, gravida ut, lobortis eget,
| lacus. Sed diam.
`----

Is this a pipe dream? I tried mucking about with org-latex-classes, and got as
far as this:

,----
| (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
|              '("letter"
|                "\\documentclass{letter}
|                 \\usepackage{hyperref}
|                [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
|                [NO-PACKAGES]"
|                ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
|                ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
|                ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
|                ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
|                ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}")))
`----

That at least got me past the "Unknow LaTeX class 'letter'" error, but it doesn't produce a nice letter. I only get my lorem ipsum text. I can't figure out how to get the \begin{letter}{...} stuff inside the \begin{document} part automatically, nor how to inject text from #+recipient: into the second block
of the \begin{letter}{...} macro.

Any help appreciated.

Stig