Re: [O] a general ID picker

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] a general ID picker
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:01:01 +0100

* Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 1 Improvement: ID Picker
>> ========================
>>
>>   First of all, I'd like to see some kind of ID picker when defining
>>   `:TRIGGER:' and `:BLOCKER:' dependencies.
>>
>>   This should work like this: after setting up the task in headings and
>>   giving them IDs, I'd like to invoke a "I want to define a
>>   dependency"-command. It first asks me what property I want to set:
>>   `:TRIGGER:' or `:BLOCKER:'.
>>
>>   Then I get asked to select any ID which could be found within the same
>>   sub-hierarchy (or even in all files?).
>>
>>   After being asked for the KEYWORD to be set for `:TRIGGER:'
>>   dependencies (if applicable), the property is added to the current
>>   heading accordingly.
>>
>>   This would drastically improve creating dependency definitions and
>>   prevent typing errors in the first place.
>
> I like this a lot, for more uses than just org-depend, and it would be
> very easy to implement. We've got `org-property-set-functions-alist' for
> using special functions to read the values of special properties, and
> we've got `org-id-get-with-outline-(drilling|path-completion), so it's
> pretty much already done!
>
> (defun my-trigger-property-prompt ()
>   (when (derived-mode-p 'org-mode)
>     (let ((id (org-id-get-with-outline-drilling))
>         (kw (org-completing-read "Keyword: " org-todo-keywords-1)))
>       (do-something-with-id-and-kw))))
>
> (push '("TRIGGER" . my-trigger-property-prompt)
>       org-property-set-functions-alist)
>
> I don't actually know how the TRIGGER property is meant to be formatted
> (and I didn't really test the above), but something very near to the
> above should do what you want.

Well, I am afraid that I am totally lost when it comes to "pretty
much already done". The great Professor Kitchin helped me with a
sophisticated function and sent me the "almost finished" code and I
failed at making it run :-(

However, I do tend to think that the ID picker would be of general
interest and I'd like to see it in the global Org-mode featureset
for multiple purposes, not only defining org-depend dependencies.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github