Re: [O] Elisp: help on string operations for fast file visiting

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Elisp: help on string operations for fast file visiting
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 19:30:12 -0500

This is a different approach to what I think you want.

Here is what I assume in this:
1. All the things you want to search for are in a file called
archive.org which is in the same directory you are searching for (use an
absolute path if it is not).
2. You have file links that only have a path, i.e. nothing like
file:test.odp::45
3. You want the query to match some part of the path in a file link.
4. if you click on the link you want, it will open the file in the
external program you want it to open in. This will probably work if they
are always absolute paths, and might be a problem for relative paths
(they would need to be correctly converted to absolute paths).

What it does is get all the file links in the archive.org file that
have a path that matches the query. If there is none, you get a message.
If there is one, it opens it as if you clicked on the link. and if there
is more than one, it prompts you with completing read to choose one,
then opens it.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun memacs-file (query)
  "Open memacs files by QUERY."
  (interactive "sQuery: ")
  (with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect "archive.org")
    (let ((links (org-element-map (org-element-parse-buffer) 'link
                   (lambda (link)
                     (when (string-match query (org-element-property :path
link)) link)))))
      (cond
       ((= 0 (length links))
        (message "No files found."))
       ((= 1 (length links))
        (org-open-link-from-string
         (format "[[file:%s]]" (org-element-property :path (car links)))))
       (t
        (org-open-link-from-string
         (completing-read
          "File: "
          (mapcar (lambda (link)
                    (format "[[file:%s]]" (org-element-property :path link)))
                  links))))))))
#+END_SRC

For a large archive file, you might be better off with a grep solution,
since this has to parse the file first.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F