Re: [O] Ignore pattern when syncing Org-mode files between hosts

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Ignore pattern when syncing Org-mode files between hosts
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:12:42 +0100

Hi Skip,

* Skip Collins <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I wonder how others are handling synchronization ignore patterns
>> between different hosts.
>
> Perhaps you should consider git annex. It is extremely flexible about
> choosing which file to sync.

I know git-annex. It is very powerful, yes. BTDT. I don't want that:
I don't want to have a central server. I don't want versioning on
all files. I doubt the performance and efficiency with binaries in
git. I consider myself rather advanced in IT but the complexity of
git-annex is a bit scary to me.

YMMV and this is OK.

Syncthing seems to be exactly the tool of choice for me for now:
very simple to set up, nice and simple clients for every important
platform[1] and yet powerful enough in case I need anything advanced.

BUT:

My email was not about «what is a sync tool that allows for complex
ignore patterns» but rather «how are you using your ignore patterns
with Org-mode files to avoid issues».

So: do you sync everything of your Org-mode directory?

If not: what are you ignoring?

What is your experience especially when changing hosts?

And the question which sums up probably all the related issues I can
think of by now: How do you sync Org-mode files, avoid temp data
being synced while preventing unsaved data lost.

[1] Except iOS but I wrote «important» on purpose as you might have
    noticed ;-)

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github