Re: [O] Bug: Cannot tangle bash source blocks [9.0 (release_9.0-237-gccf

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Cannot tangle bash source blocks [9.0 (release_9.0-237-gccf2b9 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)]
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 13:03:36 -1000

Aloha David,

David Dynerman writes:

> I cannot tangle a bash source block (via ob-shell) that contains
> variables. To reproduce, enter this into an org file:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC bash :var HELLO="world" :tangle
> echo $HELLO
> #+END_SRC
>
> Then C-c C-v t RET
>
> This error is reported:
>
> org-babel-tangle-single-block: Wrong number of arguments: (2 . 4)

The :tangle keyword requires an argument, one of 'yes', 'no', or a path.

But I think your error message (which I can reproduce) is due to using
'bash' instead of 'shell' for the language of the source code block.

This works for me:

#+BEGIN_SRC shell :var HELLO="world" :tangle bash.sh
echo $HELLO
#+END_SRC

hth,
Tom