[O] Beginner's unluck with bibtex and org-mode

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: [O] Beginner's unluck with bibtex and org-mode
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 11:28:01 -0500

I've got this in an org buffer:

#+BIBLIOGRAPHY: ~/org/biblio/ref plain

* Tests

** Test1
- This is a test \cite{pitman1997probability}.

---
and this in ref.org (as well as a copy in ref.bib without the first variable line)

-*- mode: bibtex; fill-column: 60 -*-
@book{harrison2009handbook,
  title={Handbook of practical logic and automated reasoning},
  author={Harrison, John},
  year={2009},
  publisher={Cambridge University Press}
}

@misc{pitman1997probability,
  title={Probability: Springer Texts in Statistics},
  author={Pitman, J},
  year={1997},
  publisher={Springer}
}
@book{burton2006elementary,
  title={Elementary number theory},
  author={Burton, David M},
  year={2006},
  publisher={Tata McGraw-Hill Education}
}

I followed this tutorial to get some of the things set up (Google Scholar works great, BTW). When I do a C-c C-e l o I *Messages* has this:

Saving file /home/hercynian/org/MLWorking/testbibtex.tex...
Wrote /home/hercynian/org/MLWorking/testbibtex.tex
Processing LaTeX file ./testbibtex.tex...
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: Missing file arguments.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: Try `--help' for more information.
zsh:2: command not found: --batch
I couldn't open file name `testbibtex.aux'
PDF file produced with warnings: [undefined citation]
Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.

My init stuff is, well, a mess no doubt due to going high and low across the Internet to it figure out. Can someone point me to the shallow end of the pool? I'd like to do the cite thing, but I'd also like to output neatly formatted in Latex (or HTML) all the contents of ref.bib.

LB