Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 20:28:30 +0100

John Wiegley writes:

> DE> This is a misunderstanding. I said I wanted to move support for certain
> DE> languages and project types into ELPA, not CEDET core. I'm still of the
> DE> opinion that moving it completely to ELPA is a mistake.
>
> It would only be a mistake if other parts of core need to use it. If only
> users make use of it, then having it ELPA will be invisible to them.

It is a mistake because you are creating more moving targets and bring
them together very late in the release process. This reduces the amount
of testing that is done for those packages, so bugs will be noticed
later and the quality of the relases suffer. It moves even more work
into the RC-phase, which is already crowded and where people who can fix
those bugs might not be readily available. It removes those packages
from Emacs CI, so that breakages due to changes in core are not
immediately noticed, and often times they have to be fixed not by those
who created the breakage, but by those who notice them.

-David