Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 16:45:43 +0100

John Wiegley writes:

> DE> It is a mistake because you are creating more moving targets and bring
> DE> them together very late in the release process. This reduces the amount of
> DE> testing that is done for those packages, so bugs will be noticed later and
> DE> the quality of the relases suffer. It moves even more work into the
> DE> RC-phase, which is already crowded and where people who can fix those bugs
> DE> might not be readily available. It removes those packages from Emacs CI,
> DE> so that breakages due to changes in core are not immediately noticed, and
> DE> often times they have to be fixed not by those who created the breakage,
> DE> but by those who notice them.
>
> These are issues to be fixed in the way ELPA integrates with our development
> process. I recognize today's ELPA may have these drawbacks, but I believe they
> can be fixed.

This really has not much to do with how ELPA works. My points above are
about the underlying concept you are proposing: moving packages out of
Emacs core and hence removing them from current Emacs development, but
still bundling them with the release. It's a have-and-eat-cake concept.

> We're moving toward a future where Emacs.git will represent "core Emacs", and
> only contain what core needs (plus a few historical bits, I'm sure). There
> should be no argument for keeping a project in core just to gain auxiliary
> benefits.

Of the points I raise above, which fall under "just to gain auxiliary
benefits"? I'm honestly confused. I'm specifically talking about the
quality of the Emacs relases.

Also, I currently have no idea how to continue with CEDET, as the future
where development should happen is unclear, and I get the feeling we're
just waisting our time with the ongoing merge.

-David