Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:47:49 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 13:10:07 +0100
>> Cc: Bastien Guerry <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>,
>
>>      Phillip Lord <address@hidden>,
>>      emacs-org list <address@hidden>,
>>      Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
>>
>> If Django had traditionally always been distributed along with Python,
>> and maintained in the Python repo, and the suggestion now would be to
>> move Django to a part of the Python repo that very few developers look
>> at, but Django would continue to be distributed with Python, and all
>> Django bug reports would continue to go to the Python bug repository,
>> and Python developers would continue to be responsible for QA and bug
>> fixing of Django.
>
> I believe the intent is to make it so that checking out and building
> Emacs also checks out and builds all the packages that are intended to
> be part of a release tarball.  If we indeed do that this way, there
> will be no difference, QA-wise, between core packages and ELPA
> packages that are logically part of an Emacs release.

That's not how I understood it. It was always said that Emacs must not
depend on those ELPA packages that are shipped with the release, which
implies that they are not supposed to be present at a "normal"
checkout. Otherwise, what difference would it make? (Besides requiring
more cumbersome tooling to make this all work.)

-David