Re: [O] Feature request: lists with letters

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Feature request: lists with letters
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 20:57:00 +0100

Hello,

Titus von der Malsburg <address@hidden> writes:

> One issue with org-list-allow-alphabetical is that we get numbers
> instead of letters when we export to HTML and LaTeX.  I saw the earlier
> thread [0] that gives the reasoning for this but I find it
> unsatisfying.  If Org allows us to distinguish between -, +, 1., 1), a.,
> A., a), A), this should also be honored by the exporter.

This is also why I dislike the feature.

> Otherwise it’s rather pointless to allow that distinction in the first
> place.

Exactly.

> IMHO, a clean solution would be to either drop everything but - and
> 1. or to keep all these and make the exporters honor them.  The former
> would breaks existing documents and is therefore out of the
> question.  This leaves us with the second solution.

I wouldn't rule that out. Breaking changes happen. We can provide tools
to fix existing documents.

Actually, I like the idea of keeping only "-" and "1.". We could
implement other bullet types as overlays.

> Any chance you are willing to reconsider the decision to ignore
> allow-alphabetical during export?

I still agree with Carsten in the thread you pointed out. Org document
is about structure. The bullet in about typesetting.

> I think it would be very useful to have that. I know there are other
> ways to get alphabetical bullets in exported documents but they are
> all specific to certain export targets and the beauty of Org mode is
> precisely that we can export to many different targets.

The beauty of Org is also to allow to control different export targets
in the same document.

I think this is a non-issue.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738