Re: [O] [ANN] New Org duration library

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] New Org duration library
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 19:22:54 +0100

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> You seem to have (some of) these aliased to org-duration format somehow.
>> This breaks a lot of things because the format of the former variables
>> is not recognized.  I got a bunch of errors about :hour not being a list
>> for instance.  There surely must be a better way to handle the
>> transition?
>
> Fixed. Thank you.

Thanks, but will there be some helper function to migrate the old
customizations?  I didn't even remember that I had customized this
variable until I couldn't clock in or out anymore (I remember now that I
customized it so it would record durations in hours, not days/hours).

>> Also, I find the documentation to be completely impenetrable.
>
> Great. Suggestions welcome.

I'd first need to understand what the options there really mean.  It
seems that the variable can be set to just a symbol or (maybe) a string
or a list of conses.  The conses form refer to org-duration-units, but
there the units are all defined as strings and no mention of the symbol
special that apparently is another possibility.  I don't really see why
you'd mix symbols and strings in the same position.  I have no idea what
"mixed mode" is supposed to be and what happens if I specify both
(special . h:mm) and ("h" . nil) for instance.  Is the order of these
important?

>> Customization has offered to create a setting for org-duration-format
>> that's not even mentioned in the documentation.
>
> Would it be possible, by any chance, to get a glimpse of that setting?

I've set it to the symbol h:mm (shown as H:MM in customize) via the
value menu in customize.  I might read the documentation incorrectly,
but to me it seems to say it should be the string "h:mm" instead.  I'm
left to wonder if (h:mm) is the same or different from ((special . h.mm)).

Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: