Re: [O] [patch, ox-latex] captions and latex-environments

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [patch, ox-latex] captions and latex-environments
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:34:42 +0100

Hi,

>>> Since environments do not necessary start with \begin{...}, I think the
>>> following is better
>>>
>>>   (and (string-match ...)
>>>        (match-string ...))
>>
>> Don't the element `latex-environment' always start \begin{.}?
>> Cf. org-element--latex-begin-environment.
>
> At the moment, they do, but I have a patch somewhere to make "\[...\]"
> an element instead of an object (e.g., to avoid filling it). It was
> accepted, but it some similar change could happen. I'm just suggesting
> to make it more robust right from the start.

OK.  AFAIR, org-element--latex-begin-environment shouldn't be used in
other libraries.

>> Another danger is that someone writes something like,
>>
>>     \begin{center}
>>     \begin{table}
>
> You can start the regexp with "\\`[ \t]*..."

The point is, that the env. will be center rather than table.  So the code
would detect the wrong environment.

>> +      'table)
>> +     ((string-match-p "figure" env) 'image)
>> +     ((or (string-match-p "\\(\\(lst\\)?listing\\|verbatim\\|minted\\)" env)
>> +      (string-match-p
>> +       (regexp-opt
>> +        (mapcar (lambda (str)
>> +                  (let ((s (cadr str)))
>> +                    (if (string-match latex-begin-re s)
>
> You removed `latex-begin-re' binding so this is going to fail.

Thanks.

>> +                        (match-string 2 s)
>> +                      s)))
>> +                org-latex-custom-lang-environments))
>
> I'm not sure it is necessary. AFAIU,
> `org-latex-custom-lang-environments' already provides a way to insert
> captions.  The matching process above seems fragile.

I agree this is fragile, and I’m happy to remove that part of the
matching.

The support of captions in custom-lang-environments is not really the
point here. The point of this patch is to be able to add captions to
latex-environments.  E.g. externally generated files, e.g. tables, to be
included.

Rasmus

--
I hear there's rumors on the, uh, Internets. . .