[O] Schedule org task for last day of every month

From: Jesse Johnson
Subject: [O] Schedule org task for last day of every month
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 13:04:44 -0700

Hi all,

How do I schedule a repeating org-mode task for the last day of every month?

As is, when I set a task deadlines like DEADLINE: <2017-03-31 Fri +1m>, marking it done shifts the date to DEADLINE: <2017-05-01 Fri +1m> which is a day too late if the deadline is the end of the month. Dates scheduled for the beginning of the month properly advance to the first of the following month, regardless of number of days in each month, so there is inconsistency in how the beginning and end of months are treated.

I previously posted this question on the Emacs StackExchange: http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/31683/schedule-org-task-for-last-day-of-every-month

I received solutions involving either manually duplicating date-shifted tasks or creating a custom diary function. Since scheduling repeating deadlines for the end of each month is a common use case, I feel this should be built into org mode if it is not already. If the same logic which shifts dates at the beginning of the month is applied to the end of the month, a nice symmetry would be created without adding any additional notation. Then <2017-03-31 Fri +1m> would shift to <2017-04-30 Sun +1m> as I originally expected it to.

Thoughts? I am willing to implement this feature and update the docs.

Jesse