Re: [O] evil-mode and org

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] evil-mode and org
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 20:33:59 -0500

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:12 AM, John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Using evil-mode is not "using vim" IMHO. I think this is a question of
> do you want modal editing or not (I suppose it could also be do you want
> emacs-lisp or vimscript, but that is not the impression I get these days
> ;). With emacs you can have either traditional emacs editing (one-mode:
> edit) or modal editing like vim (for the most part). And you can still
> use emacs-lisp to customize the environment so you can have things like
> org-mode.

Totally agreed. I possibly learned of evil-mode via Aaron as mentioned by Peter:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc

It's been on my todo list to try... I just haven't yet. I see
evil-mode as using some of the better navigation aspects of vim inside
the already awesome org-mode. Indeed, one of Aaron's main points (and
he struck me as a power user of both emacs and vim, so I think he has
the background to make the claim) is why anyone would try to replicate
all the awesomeness of emacs/org in something like vim when it already
exists.

My takeaway is that evil-mode acknowledges that folks want to be in
emacs for it's features, while also acknowledging that emacs
keybindings can be horrible (and vim's are better).

John