Re: [O] Viewing pdf images

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: Re: [O] Viewing pdf images
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 13:51:45 -0300

Hi Marvin.

I also agree that in terms of resolution (pix per inch ) pdf and jpg are the same. However, pdf (and SVG) allow the image to be scaled with little loss in image quality.

Sorry to disagree, but again, pdf images can be vector (like svg) and infinitely scaled or raster (bitmap, as a jpg) and in this case the quality is on the file. The pdf format only adds and envelope around the original jpg image, or in the conversion it can be downscaled.

Just to test this you can extract the images from the pdf and check their properties. The specific tools depend on your OS of choice, but at least in Linux there are many options, some command line based and others GUI based.

In my lab we typically save the images in pdf because the most biomedical journals don’t accept SVG file format (not yet).

Sure. But why not simply use a jpg or png?
* Journals accept those formats perfectly well, * you will see them with their best quality, and
* you can see them in emacs buffers natively.

Just try it and you'll see that -if I understood you ok- you will gain in every dimension. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos con las necesidades del mundo, ahí está tu vocación. (Anónimo)