Re: [O] [babel] Working dir incorrect

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] Working dir incorrect
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:24:55 +0200

Hi,

"Loris Bennett" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi John,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Loris Bennett
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In a file that used to work, when I now try to run some R code which
>>> generates an image, I get the error:
>>>
>>>   cannot open file './usage_users_historical_facet.pdf'
>>>
>>> If I check the working directory for the R session I see
>>>
>>>   getwd()
>>>   [1] "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess"
>>>
>>> instead of the directory in which my org file is located.
>>>
>>> I am now running Org 9.0.5 on Emacs 25.1.1.  The last time things worked
>>> I was definitely using an older version of Org and possibly Emacs 24.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> I agree with Nick on an ECM. Just to start the ball rolling:

[snip (54 lines)]

>> How does this go for you?
>
> Thanks for doing most of the work for me.  Unfortunately for me, the ECM
> works fine, so I'm going to have to do some work myself and debug my
> crufty old .emacs.

I finally got round to bisecting my .emacs and worked out the sequence
of events which lead me to shooting myself in the foot:

1. Installed Emacs 25 under /usr/local
2. Discovered that Emacs 25 couldn't find the ESS stuff
3. Defined a variable 'ess-directory' to be "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess/"
4. Used the variable in a function to add ESS to the load-path

It turns out that variable 'ess-directory' already exists and is, according
to the documentation, "the directory ESS is run from".

Thus renaming the variable 'ess-directory' to
'non-in-the-foot-shooting-ess-directory' solves the problem.

Cheers,

Loris