Re: [O] [org] different key binding between GUI emacs and emacs -nw

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] [org] different key binding between GUI emacs and emacs -nw
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 09:49:09 -0700

On Tue, 30 May 2017, Scott Randby wrote:

On 05/30/2017 08:29 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
It is the opposite that's happening. Terminal works fine. It is the GUI
that does not accept the bindings. And as I wrote, it is not limited to
my macOS (Emacs.app and Aquamacs show the same behavior) but to other
people's GTK+ linux or Xubuntu. So it seems that's something that aught
to be investigated and eventually fixed.

Not by the org team, I think. As Scott reports:

I have no issues on Xubuntu with Org key bindings. I'm using Emacs
24.5.1 and Org 9.0.3 on Xubuntu 16.04.

I have no issues either on

        macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Emacs.app 25.1.1 Org 9.0.7

AFAICS, the GUI Emacs.app runs as advertised and there is nothing wrong with Org. There are a lot of us who use macOS and Org with no issues with M-<left/right>, so it is hard to see how this is an org-mode issue.

Some additional data points:

M-<left> promotes and M-<right> demotes headlines using the usual GUI app.

The Terminal is tricky:

In the Terminal using Emacs.app, with Edit Menu - Use Option As Meta Key selected:

I get promote/demote if I use S-<Option Key> <left/right> or C-<Option
Key> <left/right>.

ESC <left/right> runs promote/demote regardless of Option as Meta setting.

<Option Key>-<left/right> runs M-b/f regardless of Option as Meta setting.

Running C-h k <some key combo involving Option> shows that the Terminal doesn't see Option as Meta in the way I would expect.

So, if there is a problem on my setup it lies in the Terminal.app or some plist that governs it.

HTH,

Chuck