[O] Bug: Org loses data if the user types C-u C-c C-c while composing a

From: Jorge Morais Neto
Subject: [O] Bug: Org loses data if the user types C-u C-c C-c while composing a state change note [9.0.9 (9.0.9-elpaplus @ /home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20170622/)]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:58:43 -0300

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

1. emacs -q
2. M-x package-initialize
3. M-x org-version
   - Just to confirm we are running Org 9.0.9.
4. M-x customize-option RET org-todo-keywords RET
5. Add "(@)" to DONE and set it for current session (C-c C-c)
6. C-x C-f /tmp/bug.org
7. C-S-RET
8. C-c C-t
   - This should change to DONE and prompt for a note.
9. In the note, type "- " to start a plain list
10. Hit C-u C-c C-c to add an empty checkbox

In step 10, the user made a mistake; he wanted to add a checkbox and,
from muscle memory, typed C-u C-c C-c.  However, he was composing a
note, so C-c C-c has different behavior.  The problem is that in this
situation Org discards the note.  When this happened to me, I had spent
at least 15 minutes gathering data and writing it in the note buffer.
This data was lost.  Luckily I can gather the same data a second time,
so I just lost some 15 minutes of my time (plus more than an hour to

I am not good at usability design and I do not know precisely how Org
should respond to C-u C-c C-c in this situation, but clearly there are
better options than losing data.  A very simple alternative would be to,
when C-c C-c is given any prefix argument, do nothing except warn that
C-c C-c in that situation closes the note and does not accept a prefix
argument.  Probably this measure also applies to analogous situations in
which valuable data could be lost.

While we are at it, there may be other situations in which the user
might discard a note by accident.  Perhaps Org should prompt before
discarding, or make it reversible.

Regards

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2017-06-07
Package: Org mode version 9.0.9 (9.0.9-elpaplus @
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20170622/)

--
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM, 7z.