Re: [O] keybindings again...

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [O] keybindings again...
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 00:08:49 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> Thank you for the pointer. Although I don't
> think I ever used a teletypewriter in my life
> :) Maybe sometimes in the 21st century we'll
> have to think about a change in
> terminology...

In computers, but also in just any brand of
engineering (and other areas as well), there
are tons of cases when terminology is either
outdated or just plain wrong. When there is
a correct term, as in "chainwheel" or
"sprocket" as opposed to "cog" (which is
incorrect, as it isn't a cod), it is good to
know about the correct terms and use them
whenever, but it is equally necessary to know
about the incorrect term. You will find
respectable books when they refer to a sprocket
as a "cog" without blinking! And know what,
that book is healthy for you to
read nonetheless!

So in most cases it is better to use the
correct term in parallel and if the technically
incorrect one dies, good, if it survives, so
be it.

Another example: There were once a newsreader
called GNUS. When a new newsreader came, and
they thought of calling it "ding" as in "ding
is not GNUS". Clever, but it didn't take.
So now it is Gnus who isn't GNUS. But it is -
only better :)

As for the ttys they are also called "the
console" or "the Linux virtual terminals" (the
Linux VTs). All those are designations are fine
and at least "tty" and "console" are also part
of technology by now: e.g., I just mentioned
the file /etc/console-setup/remap.inc in
another post; as for "tty", do

    $ ls /dev/ | grep tty

> I use the compact manual [...]

Bigger always better :)