Re: [O] org-plus-contrib, where is library-of-babel.org?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] org-plus-contrib, where is library-of-babel.org?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 19:34:14 -1000

Aloha all,

Rasmus writes:

> Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> writes:

>> The reason why this library-of-babel.org was not in Emacs is not
>> because of its lack of license.  I guess it's because Carsten and
>> Eric didn't think of it as something that should land in Emacs.
>
> Fine by me, but then let’s remove the references to it in the manual.
>
>> Hence my will to clarify this by moving it to Worg, where it will
>> be more easily accessed.
>
> I personally do not see how that is more easily accessible.  If part of
> Org, it’s already there when I start Emacs.  If it lives in Worg, the user
> must first wget it and tell Emacs how to find it.

I asked Eric Schulte about his thoughts on library-of-babel.org and the
current question of whether it should live on Worg or be distributed
with emacs.

   I don't recall why I would have thought that the library-of-babel.org
   shouldn't be distributed with Emacs so, assuming this is a position I
   held, I can't speak to the merit of my argument.

   Sorry I can't be of more help... For what it's worth I can't currently
   think of a good reason why this should not be distributed with Emacs.
   However, the same care should be taken with entries in the library as
   with any other executable code in Emacs that will run on user's
   machines.

   My thinking today is that this decision should be made based on the
   utility (to how many users) vs. the weight this could add to an Emacs
   install.  I thought Emacs was headed to distribution as a smaller core
   with more moved into external packages, but I haven't seen any evidence
   of that yet.

hth,
Tom

--