[O] ANN: org-web-tools

From: Adam Porter
Subject: [O] ANN: org-web-tools
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:53:32 -0500

Hi friends,

I've just uploaded a package containing some code that I've been using
in my personal Emacs config for a while.  It has commands and functions
useful for retrieving web page content and processing it into Org-mode
content.

For example, you can copy a URL to the clipboard or kill-ring, then run
a command that downloads the page, isolates the "readable" content with
eww-readable, converts it to Org-mode content with Pandoc, and displays
it in an Org-mode buffer.  Another command does all of that but inserts
it as an Org entry instead of displaying it in a new buffer.

So you can quickly and easily read a web page in an Org buffer, or
insert a page's content as an entry into an Org buffer.  You may also
find the support functions useful in building your own commands.

I haven't submitted it to MELPA yet; I'd like to get some feedback and
testing before doing that, so if any of these look useful to you, please
give it a test drive!

Here's a list of the commands and functions:

Commands

+  org-web-tools-insert-link-for-url: Insert an Org-mode link to the URL
in the clipboard or kill-ring.  Downloads the page to get the HTML
title.

+  org-web-tools-insert-web-page-as-entry: Insert the web page for the
URL in the clipboard or kill-ring as an Org-mode entry, as a sibling
heading of the current entry.

+  org-web-tools-read-url-as-org: Display the web page for the URL in
the clipboard or kill-ring as Org-mode text in a new buffer, processed
with eww-readable.

+ org-web-tools-convert-url-list-to-page-entries: With point on a list
of URLs in an Org-mode buffer, replace the list of URLs with a list of
Org headings, each containing the web page content of that URL,
converted to Org-mode text and processed with eww-readable.

Functions

+  org-web-tools--eww-readable: Return "readable" part of HTML with
title.

+  org-web-tools--get-url: Return content for URL as string.

+  org-web-tools--html-title: Return title of HTML page.

+  org-web-tools--html-to-org-with-pandoc: Return string of HTML
converted to Org with Pandoc.

+  org-web-tools--url-as-readable-org: Return string containing Org
entry of URLs web page content.  Content is processed with eww-readable
and Pandoc.  Entry will be a top-level heading, with article contents
below a second-level "Article" heading, and a timestamp in the
first-level entry for writing comments.

+  org-web-tools--demote-headings-below: Demote all headings in buffer
so the highest level is below LEVEL.

+  org-web-tools--get-first-url: Return URL in clipboard, or first URL
in the kill-ring, or nil if none.

+  org-web-tools--read-org-bracket-link: Return (TARGET . DESCRIPTION)
for Org bracket LINK or next link on current line.

+  org-web-tools--remove-dos-crlf: Remove all DOS CRLF (^M) in buffer.

Thanks,
Adam