Re: [O] Tracking Interruptions -- Work Flow Question

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] Tracking Interruptions -- Work Flow Question
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:28:19 +1000

One of the problems with the many recommendations for productivity
techniques is that they can never really take account of the endless
number of differences in workflows, working environments and personal
preferences. For me, I found the GTD approach was geared more towards
the procrastination problem (washing windows rather than doing taxes)
and Pomodoro was more about managing interruptions you have been
conditioned to respond to (phone, email) or from colleagues/bosses.

My own journey has resulted in taking some ideas from both
approaches. It is still and work in progress and probably always will
be.

It sounds like your on the same road I was on. The one warning I would
make is that unless you can also do something about managing those
interruptions, just tracking them will likely only make matters
worse. It is even more depressing being able to measure the amount of
lost productivity or interruptions if at the end of the day you cannot
do anything about them. This is where I found the Pomodoro approach
better than GTD. I found GTD was really about organising your work so
that you were more efficient. The pomodoro approach on the other hand
has some concept about managing your environment. It recognises there
will always be people in your environment that are important enough to
be able to interrupt you at any time. However, it also highlights that
many of your interruptions are not from this group and provides one
technique to help you set expectations and agreements within your work
environment which helps everyone.

There is a pomodoro mode for org, but I preferred to use an external
program with a big clear timer. Initially, I used an old monitor and put
the timer on it and set the monitor so that anyone who came to my desk
could see it. When people interrupted me, I would say "Sorry, I'm in the
middle of something important, can you come back in x minutes (x =
coutdown on monitor) or send me an IM/Email and I will look at it in x
minutes.  While it took some time, people soon understood and would even
come to my desk, look at the monitor and then leave without saying
anything, coming back x minutes later instead.

After me doing this for a while, a number of other staff started to do a
similar thing and now there is greater acceptance of the idea that you
don't just walk up and interrupt someone. We actually had some cultural
change where people now send an IM instead of walking and directly
interrupting someone. More importantly, they don't expect an instant
response to the IM or email.

There is a relatively inexpensive book (paper, ebook and audio)
available from Pragmatic Pub which is relatively short and has some good
ideas. I would recommend looking at that and try out the org-pomodoro
package for a while to get a feel for it. It probably won't be quite
right, but may give you some ideas.

regards,

Tim

--