Re: [O] Tracking Interruptions -- Work Flow Question

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: [O] Tracking Interruptions -- Work Flow Question
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 13:17:39 -1000

Solutions to the interruption problem are definitely individual. In my
case I simply tracked frequency of interruptions. I got from that the
bottom line that I should not try to work at home--- a conclusion that I
probably needed no software support to justify.

When I switched to working at libraries and coffee shops, the issue
became one of focus, and the pomodoro method solved that problem for
me after a little fine-tuning of work and break intervals.

I use one of the non-org pomodoro packages also, but it's all according
to how you organize your work.

I only think tracking length of interruptions adds value if you bill
clients in time increments, and even in that case clocking out of the
billable task is arguably more important than clocking in to the
interruption task.

If you want to know how much time is lost to interruptions, etc., just
subtract your logged productive time from the length of your workday, to
get the same depressing result as if you had logged all interruptions.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i