[O] ox-odt: List items contain body paragraphs, confusing styles

From: James Harkins
Subject: [O] ox-odt: List items contain body paragraphs, confusing styles
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:47:59 -0400

Hi, haven't been active here for a while (which is a good thing -- it means I
haven't had any problems worth mentioning!).

Now I have one -- ODT export encodes list items as a list-item containing a
"text:p":

<text:list text:style-name="OrgBulletedList" text:continue-numbering="false">
<text:list-item>

<text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">blah blah</text:p>

</text:list-item>
</text:list>

When LibreOffice reads this, it applies indentation settings from the
Text_20_body paragraph style to the list item. So, for instance, if you're
writing for a journal that requires a .doc and it also requires paragraphs to
be first-line indented, it becomes impossible to have hanging bullets in bullet
lists -- the list outdents the bullet by 0.25" but the paragraph style then
indents this by 0.5" for a net indent of 0.25".

ask.libreoffice.org says "It is usually preferable to make paragraph styles
formatting lists independent from bulk text styles"[1] -- i.e., applying the
same style to a list-item paragraph as to a free-standing paragraph is not
recommended.

I can guess structurally why this occurs -- I suppose org parses it as a
list-item node containing a paragraph node, and the paragraph node is encoded
first, without any knowledge of its context.

I will try to write a filter for this, but this looks like an unexpected
interaction, so, perhaps a bug.

Thanks,
hjh

[1]