Re: [O] TIMEZONE property for ical export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] TIMEZONE property for ical export
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 10:34:54 +0200

Hello,

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Out of curiosity, what's your stance on supporting time zones in Org's
> timestamps? It would be an enormous amount of work, obviously, but in
> principle?

In principle I agree this would be a very good thing, if possible at
all.

> That's pretty much what it was before I messed with it, and I was a
> little confused because no callers of `org-icalendar-convert-timestamp'
> ever used the optional fourth argument at all. My thinking was that
> users might want to explicitly set the timezone to "UTC". To be honest
> I'm not sure why they would, but I also don't know why we'd accept t
> when nothing uses it. I found the whole handling of utc-or-not a bit
> confusing. What do you think?

I have no strong opinion about this. I was merely concerned about
consistency. E.g., when using `format-time-string', I never think about
"UTC" for the last optional argument.

BTW, as long as Org doesn't support time zones, the "ox-icalendar"
property may be prefixed with "ICALENDAR_" (e.g., ICALENDAR_TZ).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou