[O] Capture w/ timestamp does not include current timestamp

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: [O] Capture w/ timestamp does not include current timestamp
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 08:16:27 +0200

Hi List,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not - it seems to be, but it has been
discussed on the list[1] (and elswhere[2]) and not fixed, and I wonder if that
is because nobody explicitly called it out as a bug. At a minimum, I think it
is a documentation bug.

A capture template with %^T or %^U will prompt for date and time, but if I hit
ENTER without manually typing a time, the present time (shown in the prompt) is
dropped, and only a date is used in the capture.

This is different behavior than, for example =org-time-stamp= or
=org-time-stamp-inactive= run with a prefix argument (e.g. "C-u C-c C-.").

Without a time prompt (i.e. %^t or %^u), I can still manually enter a time and
it works. So the only benefit of %^T or %^U is that the current time is
displayed in the prompt, but I still have to manually type it out? This seems
inefficient, hence I think this is a bug.

If the behavior is correct, the following doc strings should probably be
updated:

%t          Time stamp, date only.  The time stamp is the current time,
            except when called from agendas with ‘M-x org-agenda-capture’ or
            with ‘org-capture-use-agenda-date’ set.
%T          Time stamp as above, with date and time.
%u, %U      Like the above, but inactive time stamps.

Regards,

  Ken Mankoff

Org mode version 9.0.9 (9.0.9-88-g251f88-elpaplus @
/Users/mankoff/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20170821/)

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-02/msg00323.html
[2] https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/24368/