Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:53:54 +0200

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 06:16:50PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I rewrote the part responsible for agenda generation in "org-agenda.el".
> Basically, I refactored some hot loops and introduced a cache mechanism
> for data extracted out of agenda files.

Sounds awesome.

> The only thing that is expected to be defective is
> `org-agenda-include-inactive-timestamps'. It has no effect at the
> moment. I can activate it again, but I'm wondering if it's worth the
> overhead. It is already possible to display clocks and closed timestamps
> in the agenda. Other inactive timestamps could be ignored from the
> agenda altogether. This is their sole purpose, after all. WDYT?

Count me in as another major user of inactive timestamps. I use active
timestamps only for appointments, and when I'm
working on a task I constantly add inactive timestamps via single keypress
macro. When I review what has happened in the
agenda, I only toggle on the inactives when I need to see them.

Professionally they have been lifesavers. When did I execute that command on
that host? When did the user call? What
hours do I need to bill? Etc.

Please consider preserving the existing inactive timestamps functionality.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden