Re: [O] Automatic mtime and ctime on all or select group of trees?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Automatic mtime and ctime on all or select group of trees?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 10:57:33 +0100

On Thursday, 31 Aug 2017 at 10:20, Tim Visher wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't really meet my needs here in that I'm
> really looking for org to behave more like a filesystem, not something that
> I have to manually commit changes to.

I understand but I think you may be expecting more from org than it
really is designed to do.  It is primarily about text markup as the
basis.

> If this doesn't already exist, does org already provide hooks or something
> that I can plug in to? I would assume a heading-created and
> heading-modified hook of some kind would allow me to implement my own
> solution fairly cleanly.

The problem is that you can create a heading by simply typing "* blah"
at the start of a line.  There are some methods that create new headings
(see org-meta-return and or-insert-heading-respect-content, e.g.) but
you don't need to use them at all.

However, if you are very disciplined, you could probably use org-capture
to do what you want.  Look at the capture-refile-archive section
(section 9) of the info manual.  Many of us use capturing for logs and
journals, for instance, which do some of what you want (not all).  You
may wish to combine capturing with special TODO states and there are
indeed hooks invoked when changing such states.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 26.0.50, Org release_9.0.10-723-g23eba9