Re: [O] function for inserting a block

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] function for inserting a block
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 10:10:39 +0200

Hello,

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> The easy template entry thing is useful as far as it goes, but for some
> reason I find myself "marking up" existing text in Org as least as often
> as I'm writing new text from scratch. I've always wanted a "wrap region
> in block" command, and finally wrote one. Don't know why it took me so
> long. Would something like this be attractive for inclusion in Org?

Thanks. I agree Org needs something like this.

> (defun org-insert-structure-template (type start end)
>   "Insert a block structure as in #+BEGIN_TYPE/#+END_TYPE.
>
> Prompts for a block TYPE, and inserts the block.  With an active
> region, wrap the region in the block."
>   (interactive "sBlock type: \nr")
>   (let ((s (set-marker (make-marker) start))
>       (e (set-marker (make-marker) end)))

(set-marker (make-marker) start) -> (copy-marker start)

You need to clean these markers at the end of the function. Markers set
to a position are never garbage-collected. Usually, it happens at the
end of an `unwind-protect'.

>    (goto-char s)
>    (goto-char (line-beginning-position))
>    (insert (format "#+BEGIN_%s\n" (upcase type)))

(upcase type) is wrong, because special blocks are case sensitive.

>    (goto-char e)
>    (goto-char (line-end-position))

(end-of-line) ?

>    (insert (format "\n#+END_%s" (upcase type)))))

The function also needs to take care about global indentation. Inserting
at column 0 may not be desirable.

What happens if no region is active? Can it mark the element at point
(see `org-mark-element')? What happens if the chosen type is verbatim
(e.g. "example"), can it protect "#+", "*" and so on with commas (see
`org-escape-code-in-region')?

> If this is acceptable, I'd like to bind it to "C-c i", and would provide
> docs.

We cannot bind it to "C-c i", this is a reserved key-binding. But we can
suggest users to do so in the manual. Or find another binding.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou