Re: [O] function for inserting a block

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] function for inserting a block
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 03:19:52 -0500

> You need to clean these markers at the end of the function. Markers set
> to a position are never garbage-collected. Usually, it happens at the
> end of an `unwind-protect'.

Not that I oppose cleaning up markers after you're done with them, but
are they actually never collected?  The manual says:

"...it is a good idea to make a marker point nowhere if you are sure you
don’t need it any more.  Markers that can no longer be accessed are
eventually removed (*note Garbage Collection::)."

I asked on /r/emacs about this but never got a firm answer; some thought
that they are never collected and require manual clearing, others
thought that ones that go out-of-scope are eventually collected and that
it's not typically necessary to clear them manually.  I also recall
seeing some code recently that didn't manually clear the markers it
created, so I wonder if that is true.