Re: [O] Bug: Fix for org-make-link-description-function use in org-inser

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Fix for org-make-link-description-function use in org-insert-link [9.0.10 (9.0.10-5-g1654a5-elpa @ /home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170904/)]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 22:05:59 +0100

On 5 September 2017 at 21:49, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

​Hi, thanks for looking at this.​

Reuben Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

> This seems to be incorrect behaviour, as the docstring for
> org-insert-link says:
>
>   If `org-make-link-description-function' is non-nil, this function will be
>   called with the link target, and the result will be the default
>   link description.
>
> The implication is that the value returned is used as the default, not
> that it overrides the prompt.

I agree.

> First, org-make-link-description-function is called if it is non-nil,
> and used to set default-description.

I think the optional parameter from the function call should still
prevail. I.e., shouldn't this function be called when
DEFAULT-DESCRIPTION is nil (e.g., called interatively)?

​This question occurred to me too, but I didn't form an opinion. However, I am inclined to agree with you on thinking about it some more.​

> Then (unless auto-desc is non-nil) the description is prompted for with
> default-description as the default value (unless
> org-make-link-description-function returned nil, in which case the
> current value of desc, if any, is used).
>
> There is one further matter that my patch does not address: the
> docstring for org-make-link-description-function says:
>
> “When [org-make-link-description-function is] nil, the link location
> will be used.”
>
> This does not happen (it’s precisely the behaviour I’ve been trying to
> obtain!), and my patch does not make it happen. Indeed, it’s not clear
> that it’s desirable (if one is using numbered sections, for example).

Obviously, it would not be desirable.

However, I think it should read "When
`org-make-link-description-function' _returns_ nil, the link location is
used". This is not what is implemented either, tho.

​If you (or someone) can confirm your interpretation above, I would be happy to update my patch to implement the two behaviours required, namely, that org-make-link-description-function is only called if the default-description argument to org-insert-link is nil, and that if that function returns nil, then the link location is used. I would also clarify the docstring regarding the second behaviour.