Re: [O] setting local variables

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] setting local variables
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 10:56:05 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> The only real problem I encountered was that links to external Info
> manuals did not export correctly, and couldn't be followed. I gave up on
> learning the exact syntax of texinfo's @[px]ref commands because it was
> dinnertime, but I can figure out what went wrong and maybe provide a
> patch.

I am not sure either.  I couldn’t get cross-referencing working.

http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Cross-References

The texinfo part of the Org manual could use a section on
cross-referencing

> The other thing I'd like to know is how to "inline" sections (ie output
> several sections on a single page), but still have links to those
> sections work correctly.

Are you talking about info pages now?  Because in pdf and html it’s not an
issue as far as I’m aware.

> That problem and most others could probably be "solved" by expanding the
> docs. For instance, regarding the sectioning problem, "12.14.6 Headings
> and sectioning structure" in the Org manual says:
>
>   If an Org headline’s level has no associated Texinfo structuring
>   command, or is below a certain threshold (*note Export settings), then
>   the Texinfo export back-end makes it into a list item.
>
> Why a list item? Plenty of Info manuals have multiple sub-headings on a
> single page, how do we do that?

Could you provide an example?  I have mostly seen numbered sections
without subtitles

    NN.mm title

    text

    menu

> In general, I think the texinfo part of the Org manual could benefit
> from some beefing up, and I'd be happy to provide suggestions.

I would agree, but perhaps I’m biased since I don’t have much of a working
knowledge of texinfo other than enough to add sections to an existing
manual.

You could look at the texinfo manual and see if we are missing something

    http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html

On the top of my head it would be good to have a cross-referencing
section, though I think that there may not be support for too
sophisticated referencing, at least judging from address@hidden

Another area that seems slightly lacking is support for all markings, so
perhaps there could be a section on accessing your favorite via
‘org-texinfo-text-markup-alist’ (if ‘org-texinfo--text-markup’ supports
it) and the rest via macros, if necessary.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Marking-Text

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know