Re: [O] BUG - org-agenda-show-future-repeats not mentioned in org.pdf

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] BUG - org-agenda-show-future-repeats not mentioned in org.pdf
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 11:54:56 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Seeing this new variable I've been trying to set it up to stop all the
>> future displays of each and every task being displayed in my 31 days
>> agenda.
>>
>> I've updated my git/org-mode and then built the new 'org.pdf', opened it
>> and then had a quick browse for 'org-agenda-show-future-repeats'. I then
>> did a search of the whole file and it isn't mentioned at all!
>
> The manual cannot possibly (and doesn't) contain a reference to every
> variable.
>
>> I was hoping to see something which showed how to use it, as currently I
>> have each and every repeat showing for each and every day of my 31-day
>> agenda.
>
> You can know how to use it by looking at its docstring. I copy it here
> for reference:
>
>    Non-nil shows repeated entries in the future part of the agenda.
>    When set to the symbol ‘next’ only the first future repeat is
>    shown.

Thanks for replying.

You are assuming that everyone knows what a 'docstring' is, and how to
get it or find out about it. Unfortunately, I don't fit into that
category, so when I saw on "http://orgmode.org/Changes.html"; 'See
docstring for details.' I was, and still am, completely flummoxed by it,
which is why I looked for it in an updated 'org.pdf'.

Thanks
Sharon.

>> If we have changes, especially major ones like this, could they not be
>> mentioned in the org.pdf with perhaps a new chapter titled 'Changes' and
>> then giving details of how to use the new commands, please?
>
> The variable was introduced in <http://orgmode.org/Changes.html>
>

> Regards,

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.1