Re: [O] BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 21:25:42 -0500

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> With the new release of org-mode to 9.1 I am finding with every build of
>>> a new agenda that this is displaying for items with a time as part of
>>> them -
>>>
>>>   organiser:   8:30΄ьԔלڤ  Scheduled: TODO email org-mode list
>>>
>>> This is new and has only appeared with the new agenda which is generated
>>> after the release of org-mode 9.1.
>>>
>>> How do I stop it and get rid of it please?
>>
>> I cannot replicate this. My guess is that it is related to a particular
>> configuration setting on your machine. For instance, what is the value
>> of org-agenda-time-grid? The order of items in this variable changed
>> with the upgrade to 9.1.
>
> ;; Enable display of the time grid so we can see the marker for the current
> time
> (setq org-agenda-time-grid (quote ((daily today remove-match)
>                                    #("----------------" 0 16 (org-heading t))
>                                    (0900 1100 1300 1500 1700))))
>
> But time-grid is not enabled in my agenda.

This setting is definitely the problem. I can now reproduce the behavior.

The order of items in org-agenda-time-grid changed recently, which I
think is the root of the problem. The value for this variable should be
a list of four (not three) items. Even if time grid is not enabled, the
3rd item in the setting is used to generate trailing characters that
follow the time string in the agenda. This should be a string, not a
list of numbers.

You can type C-h v org-agenda-time-grid for all the details. Here is the
default value of org-agenda-time-grid for reference. Note how the order
differs from your current setting:

((daily today require-timed)
 (800 1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000)

Hope this helps,