Re: [O] Strange latex symbol behavior on html export

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Strange latex symbol behavior on html export
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 23:37:16 -0400

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> ... I use
>
> # this makes MathJax work
>
> I just now found this caption weirdness because I started a new .org
> file with no latex symbol markup besides in the caption. Quite
> bizarre that when my file sees other latex symbols, the caption
> symbols then render correctly.
>

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:
>     >
>     >> Consider this markup:
>     >>
>     >> ------------
>     >> * MATHEMATICS AUXILIARY
>     >>
>     >> ** deriving sines and cosines
>     >>
>     >> #+caption: Right triangle with two $\pi\big/4$ angles.
>     >> [[file:images/45-45-triangle.png]]
>     >>
>     >> $\big/$
>     >> ------------
>     >>
>     >> If I remove the second $\big/$, the first latex, $\pi\big/4$, in the
>     >> caption will not properly render on export to html. Include it and both
>     >> render just fine. Without the second, the first looks like this:
>     >>
>     >> Figure 1: Right triangle with two \(\pi\big/4\) angles.
>     >>
>     >> Is this a bug?
>     >
>     > If you use
>     >
>     >
>     > the symbol in the caption is correctly rendered. It may be a bug in
> Mathjax.
>     >

>     I looked at the diff between html files produced with and without the
> $\big/$ addition.
>     The one without does not include any of the mathjax configuration code at
> all. Is that
>     code included conditionally perhaps when a latex construct is seen? Maybe
> the latex construct
>     in the caption does not trigger the inclusion?
>
>     --
>     Nick

org-html--build-mathjax-config includes the mathjax code only if

  (and (memq (plist-get info :with-latex) '(mathjax t))
       (org-element-map (plist-get info :parse-tree)
                 '(latex-fragment latex-environment) 'identity info t))

is true. So if there is latex markup in the file (other than the caption) the
org-element-map
call finds it and returns non-nil, but it apparently does not look inside the
caption.

--
Nick