Re: [O] (gnus-icalendar-org-setup) not evaluated in .emacs?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] (gnus-icalendar-org-setup) not evaluated in .emacs?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 13:00:19 -0500

"Loris Bennett" <address@hidden> writes:

> Rereading this, I decided to move the settings out from the Customize
> block to before call to gnus-icalendar-org-setup:
>
> (require 'gnus-icalendar)
> (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-file "~/git/org.git/gtd.org")
> (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-headline (quote ("Exchange")))
> (gnus-icalendar-setup)
> (gnus-icalendar-org-setup)
>
> Now I get all the buttons first time round and didn't have to resort to
> a flaky hack, so thanks, Eric.
>
> But should this kind of ordering dependency happen?  Or should my
> Customize block just be at the beginning of my .emacs rather than at the
> end?

I looked at the gnus-icalendar-code and this ordering dependency is
indeed hard-coded into gnus-icalendar-org-setup. From the code comments:

;; to enable optional iCalendar->Org sync functionality
;; NOTE: both the capture file and the headline(s) inside must already exist
;; (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-file "~/org/notes.org")
;; (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-headline '("Calendar"))
;; (gnus-icalendar-org-setup)

Matt