Re: [O] (gnus-icalendar-org-setup) not evaluated in .emacs?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] (gnus-icalendar-org-setup) not evaluated in .emacs?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:11:19 +1000

Management of an emacs init file is a challenge for anyone who has been
using Emacs for a long time. I did this after being a user for over 20
years and like you, was a little daunted by the task. However, I now
realise it was the single best thing I ever did to improve my emacs. I
also had let my config grow organically and what I found out when I
decided to clean it up was that a lot of what I had in there was
unnecessary, was slowing down my Emacs (both startup and runtime) and
that many of my long-term emacs 'annoyances' were actually due to
incorrect or outdated settings in my init file.

A few things I learned which may be of help

1. Put your init in git (or your favourite source control system ) and
do your changes incrementally. You will need to revert to previous
versions, so be methodical with checking in changes and do it
incrementally.

2. Have a look at the use-package macro. This really cleaned up my init
file, helped me make it more modular and really improved both the
structure and maintenance as well as startup times etc.

3. I now use org to manage my init file. In fact, I have a few init
files. I have a bare bones minimal init file which I use when I need to
debug a specific feature/package or generate bug reports, I have an
experimental one where I play with new things and I have my stable
one. Using org, I can just 'tangle' a new init based on one of those
files whenever I need it. I started by just putting all my existing
setup into a block in an org file and exporting that as elisp. As time
permitted, I broke bits off into their own blocks with explanatory
comments/text so that I can remember why/what of the block.

4. Finally, there are some really good 'canned' configurations out
there. I personally quite like purcell's setup (on github). While I
don't use any of these per se, I did 'borrow' some of the ideas.

My setup is now healthier and more stable than it ever has been. The
effort is definitely worth it.

Tim

--
Tim Cross