Re: [O] setting local variables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] setting local variables
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:38:41 +0200

Hi everyone,

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:16 AM, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017, 2:43 PM Scott Randby <address@hidden> wrote:

On 09/20/2017 12:17 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> I do object to removing unnumbered headers from the toc.

I believe this change was made to fix the case of mixed numbered and unnumbered headings in the TOC.

Please see the other thread[1] where I suggest supporting the "case 3" where we want TOC where all headings are numbered i.e. the case of num:nil.

This would address my main concern and make it usable, yes.

It is another question if the association of unnumbered and not toc-listed is a useful one in general.  The cleanest would be to have properties like NO_TOC_LISTING and NOT_NUMBERED or so to allow local control.  Conflating it with the global switches I find a bit confusing.

Carsten

 It
breaks
> documented and used behaviour and aI see no pressing reason to change it. I
> find, for compact documents, it works extremely well to have a toc that has
> no numbers - in fact, in many cases I find numbered tocs even annoying.  In
> particular, it works really well in websites, where I use it constantly.

Mine is the same use case and the num:nil case covers that.

 I have to agree with Carsten. I use unnumbered table of contents all the time in web pages. Almost all of my Org files that generate web pages have the following:

@Scott Please see that other thread[1]. I have this exact use case. And if the case 3 discussed in that thread is supported all should be good.

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-09/msg00497.html
--

Kaushal Modi