Re: [O] orgmode for many continuous tasks?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode for many continuous tasks?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:08:30 +1000

Peter Neilson writes:

> * TODO Devise a way to project my agenda (in unavoidable brilliance) onto
> the side of the barn, or perhaps embroider it into the fleece of my sheep
> (who * TODO need to be shorn).
>
> Plausible (or implausible) solutions to my problem or to Mycroft's are
> hereby solicited.

On the right track, but perhaps wrong scale. What you need is to embrace
the exciting possibilities of augmented reality! A pair of glasses where
whenever you look at something which has a related todo or note in your
org files, displays the item in a little box linked to that item.

* TODO Develop augmented reality interface for org-mode

Actually, I think a lot of the ingredients already exist in org-mode to
help reduce procrastination and/or ensure all todo items are getting the
right level of attention. Someone just needs to think of the right sort
of algorithm.

For me, the constant problem is the battle between urgent and
important. I have lots of important todo items, but they seem to get
swamped by urgent items. The problem is the important items are often
what needs to be done to reduce the urgent items in my todo list. I
partially address this via a bit of self-discipline and a few ideas
stolen from GTD and Pomodoro mode. The first task I do each morning is
go through my list of todos and mark the ones I plan to work on as NEXT
items. I then try to put at least one pomodoro sprint into each of those
next items during the day. I have a custom agenda view which lists my
NEXT items as a block and use that to drive my activity for the day.

Not perfect and it still has one major flaw - me. However, if I drive
myself to follow this approach, at least I reduce the number of TODOs
which have sat on my list for months with no action. I also tend to go
through my list about once a month and look for items which have been
there too long. If a todo item has been there more than 6 months, either
I need to cancel it as an idea which is never going to happen or
prioritise it higher and ensure it is set to NEXT. I also have my
backlog - any todo item which I realise I'm unlikely to get to in the
next 6+ months goes on this list if it is still relevant.

regards,

tim

--
Tim Cross