Re: [O] Confused about the explanation for 'org-cycle'

From: Robert Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Confused about the explanation for 'org-cycle'
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 11:29:48 -0400

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Completeness is not possible. For example, we do not document every
> variable in the manual. Besides, when reading a pile of special rules
> for special cases, the reader may lose focus and miss the whole concept.
>
> BTW, a "docstring" is the documentation you get when using, e.g., `C-h
> v' or `C-h f'.

Actually, an effective way to deal with this is to have two sections: "All
external org functions" and "All external org variables" that merely lists them
all alphabetically, and begins with a short paragraph on what a
doc-string is and how to get it for these.

This might also be a place to put a short paragraph about how internal org
functions and variables are identified, and why it is a good idea to
avoid using them in added features.  E.g., the fact that they may be
replaced, removed, or revised drastically by subsequent org releases.

It's not quite as simple as doing a search for defun, pruning, and
sorting, but it shouldn't be much more than that.

This would probably help new users a lot.

R Horn