Re: [O] Insert heading above current one

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Insert heading above current one
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 21:55:09 +0200

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Looks like this was an intended change:
>> http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=2b03e945a19701194e510791a96006c5eee9edc6
>>
>> Related discussion:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-10/msg00080.html
>>
>> PS: The commit message includes gmane.org links which are now dead. I
>> think we should reference lists.gnu.org links (like above) for longevity
>> of references.

This is already the case. Latest commit message include links to
lists.gnu.org.

> To add, I also think that the earlier behavior made sense, if the point is
> at bolp, insert before, else insert after.

I think the current behaviour makes more sense, if the command is called
with an universal argument. Indeed, what would be the point of using an
universal argument if you get the exact same behaviour as without it?

> But I never noticed this change as I
> leave org-insert-heading-respect-content at its default value of nil.

Out of curiosity is there any to set this variable to something else
than nil? There are already comfortable keybindings to set this
temporarily (C-RET and C-u M-RET). Why would one have M-RET to behave
exactly as C-RET? And even if there was a good reason to do so, why not
simply re-binding M-RET in that case?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738